- A warning letter written in April about the deterioration of the concrete of the building that collapsed in Miami comes to light.
- According to a letter from the condominium board, the deterioration was “accelerating”.
- Six days after the building collapsed in Miami, at least 11 people have died and more than 150 are still missing.
The president of the condominium association Champlain South Towers, in a letter written in April, stated that the deterioration of the concrete of the building that collapsed in Miami was “accelerating” and that damage to the garage had gotten significantly worse since a 2018 inspection, reported FOX News citing a report released Monday.
The rescuers who are working for the sixth day and against the clock at the site of the partial collapse of the 12-story building in Surfside (Miami-Dade) announced on Monday the discovery of the bodies of two new victims, with which there are already eleven deceased, and they said that “the search will continue.”
Miami Building Collapse: Warning Letter Released
In the letter dated April 9, the condo’s chairman of the board, Jean Wodnicki, wrote that the building was in urgent need of repairs and urged residents to pay millions of dollars in assessments needed to fix structural problems.
“Much of this work could have been done or planned in years past. But this is where we are now, ”Wodnicki said, according to the Wall Street Journal. He also indicated that an engineers report in 2018 highlighted building failures related to waterproofing replacement.
They warned about the extent of the deterioration of the Miami building
“If the waterproofing is not replaced in the near future, the extent of concrete deterioration will expand exponentially,” the report said. Despite engineers warning of major structural problems, a city construction official told members of the Champlain Towers South board of owners that the Florida building was in “very good condition” almost three years before the collapse, according to meeting minutes released Monday.
The comments were attributed to Surfside town official Rosendo Prieto during the meeting with the Champlain Towers South board of directors on November 15, 2018. The meeting was held just over a month after the Morabito engineering company Consultants issued a report describing key flaws in the structure, AP reported.
150 people are still missing after the collapse
The discussion with Prieto occurred as Champlain Towers began to explore the works that were required according to city and county regulations for the building to comply with the 40-year recertification, which would arrive in 2021. The minutes of the meeting indicate that Prieto told them in 2018 that Morabito’s engineering report had collected the necessary information and that “it seems that the building is in very good condition.”
The number of missing now stands at 150, while those found alive are 136, said Monday the mayor of Miami-Dade, Daniella Levine Cava, who promised to go “to the bottom” in the investigation to determine the causes of this tragedy that has affected individuals and families in various countries, reported Efe.
There is no evidence that repairs were initiated
A day later, Prieto told the then Surfside town manager that he believed the meeting had been a success, and praised Champlain Towers for a good start to the recertification process.
“The response from everyone present was very positive,” wrote Prieto in an email that was also released by the local authorities. “All major concerns about his 40-year recertification process were addressed.” However, there is no evidence that the major concrete structural work was ever started, according to the documents.
Jobs ranged from $ 15 million
The owners of the 136 apartments had been informed earlier this year that they would have to pay their fair share of the $ 15 million work – of which $ 9.1 million was major construction – by July 1. That amount ranged from $ 80,000 for a one-bedroom apartment to more than $ 330,000 for a penthouse.
Prieto no longer works at Surfside and has not yet been contacted. The former official previously told the Miami Herald that he does not recall receiving Morabito’s report and declined to comment on the November 2018 meeting. An attorney for the board forwarded the minutes to Surfside authorities on Sunday, according to the government. of the locality.
There were waterproofing problems
Morabito’s report focused on the pool terrace, where it was discovered that there were waterproofing problems, since the material was placed without an angle that would allow drainage. That not only put the slab under the pool at risk, but other structural areas as well.
“Not replacing the waterproofing in the near future will cause the level of deterioration in the concrete to expand exponentially,” warned the report, which also noted “abundant cracks” in the concrete beams and columns.
The post Warning letter released about condition of building that collapsed in Miami appeared first on Hispanic World.