- Suspect in the murder of Vanessa Guillén seeks to annul her confession
- Cecily Ann Aguilar’s lawyer asked to delete the confession
- She is accused of assisting the suspect in the violent murder
Attorney for Cecily Ann Aguilar, Suspect in the murder de Vanessa Guillén seeks to annul her confession about the brutal death of the Latina soldier in 2020 at a military base in Texas. Aguilar is the girlfriend of Guillén’s alleged murderer, Aaron David Robinson.
According to court documents obtained by Efe, and presented this Wednesday, the young woman’s lawyer considers that the evidence against her client was obtained “illegally” and that her statements were produced in an interrogation carried out on June 30, 2020 without being informed of your rights.
Is the suspect and girlfriend of the alleged murderer looking to ‘save herself’?
Cecily Ann Aguilar, 22, is accused of helping the suspect in disposing of the remains of the soldier, Vanessa Guillén, who was dismembered, burned and her remains were hidden and buried in the field, Efe said.
“The agents did not read Aguilar his rights ‘Miranda’ at the beginning of the interrogation. They did not tell her that anything she said could be held against her in court. They did not tell her that she had the right to a lawyer during the interrogation and they did not ask if she was willing to waive those rights, ”the lawyer assures in his brief.
Will the statement of the suspect in the murder of Vanessa Guillén be annulled?
During the interrogation, carried out hours after Guillén’s remains were found and despite the fact that the young woman was not under arrest, Aguilar revealed to the officers that her boyfriend, Aaron David Robinson, had taken her to the forest and showed her the body of Guillén.
In addition, according to his statement, “he made her help him dismember the body.” After this statement, one of the agents informed Cecily Ann Aguilar that he was under arrest and proceeded to read him his rights, says the court document obtained by Efe.
Lawyer asks that the rights of the suspect be ‘protected’
Therefore, Aguilar’s lawyer requested, the protection of the Fourth Amendment, which protects the right to expression and privacy and not suffer an arbitrary invasion, that his statements made during the June 30 interrogation be suppressed, indicates Efe.
The document also ensures that the agents kept the suspect’s cell phone without a court order or probable cause. Cecily Ann Aguilar, has pleaded “not guilty” to all three counts of conspiracy.
Do you want to ‘expunge’ the charges against you?
The charges against the suspect in the murder of Vanesa Guillén are for hiding and destroying evidence in the murder of the Hispanic soldier, and she could face a sentence of up to 20 years. Guillén disappeared on April 22 at the Fort Hood military base.
According to investigations, she died that same day at the hands of Aaron David Robinson, who hit her several times with a hammer on the head, and later buried the body with the help of Cecily Ann Aguilar, reveals the Efe news agency.
Suspect’s boyfriend committed suicide after Vanessa Guillén’s murder
The remains were found on June 30 near the León River, 20 miles from the barracks. Aaron David Robinson committed suicide in the early morning of July 1 when police were looking for him for questioning as a suspect in the deadly attack, and after he escaped from the barracks.
Vanessa Guillén had told her family and friends that she had been harassed by a superior, although she did not report it for fear of retaliation. The case of the Latina soldier caused great shock at the national level and sparked a series of protests.
They “punish” military leaders related to the assassination of the soldier
Last December, the US military announced the dismissal or suspension of 14 officers and soldiers at the Fort Hood, Texas base, the sanctioned members of the military are related to the death of Latina soldier Vanessa Guillén, indicated The Associated Press.
In addition, policy changes were ordered to combat chronic leadership failures at the base that contributed to a pattern of violence, including murder, rape, and harassment. Two generals are among the dismissed army officers.
Multiple deaths in addition to that of Vanessa Guillén
Military commanders announced the findings of an independent panel’s investigation into the problems at the base. The actions, ordered by Secretary of the Army Ryan McCarthy, come at the end of 2020, the year in which 25 soldiers at Fort Hood died by suicide, homicide or accident.
Including the death by beating of specialist Vanessa Guillen, who was missing for two months before her body was found, from which her sister has demanded justice. “This is not justice. Those responsible must be held accountable, not just fired, ”declared the sister of the solado Latina.
“Grave Fallas”, on the base where Vanessa Guillén died
Speaking to the press at the Pentagon, Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy said that based on the panel’s investigation, he concluded on the problems at Fort Hood, including serious flaws in the reporting and response to rape and sexual harassment.
He assured that these failures: “are directly related to leadership failures.” Furthermore, he said that he was extremely disappointed by the commanders of this North American base and added that “without leadership, systems do not matter.”
They claim to be “punishing” the grassroots leaders
The general James mcconville, chief of staff of the US Army, told reporters that he spoke with Guillen’s mother, revealing that he told her that: “We are punishing the leaders and we are going to solve the problem.”
The firings and suspensions include Army Major General Scott Efflandt, who was left in 2020 when Vanessa Guillen was assassinated. In addition, Major General Jeffery Broadwater, commander of the 1st Cavalry Division, also received retaliation.
New ways of acting after the death of Vanessa Guillén?
The commander of the controversial base, Lt. Gen. Pat White, will not face administrative sanctions, according to The Associated Press. White was deployed to Iraq as the commander of US forces there for most of the year.
The aforementioned secretary, Ryan McCarthy also ordered a new policy for the army that changes the way commanders deal with the disappearance of soldiers, now the provisions require listing members as absent or missing for up to 48 hours, indicates The Associated Press.
The post Suspect in the murder of Vanessa Guillén seeks to annul her confession appeared first on Hispanic World.