Paris: Knife attack leaves four wounded and one suspect is detained

Authorities confirmed the knife attack in Paris on Friday A man armed with a knife carried out the attack in Paris, which has shocked the...

Compartir
Suscríbete
Suscribe our Newsletter
Recibe por email las noticias más destacadas
Fotos: AP Video: MH
  • Authorities confirmed the knife attack in Paris on Friday
  • A man armed with a knife carried out the attack in Paris, which has shocked the city
  • The suspect carrying out the knife attack in Paris was captured shortly thereafter

Paris was shaken on Friday by the knife attack carried out by a man who wounded several people. Shortly after the attacker was captured.

The AP news agency reported that four people were injured in a knife attack on Friday near the former offices of the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo in Paris, and authorities later detained a suspect.

Associated Press (AP) reporters at the scene watched as police seized the eastern neighborhood of the French capital, near the Richard Lenoir subway station.

According to the aforementioned agency, the Paris police indicated that the suspect in the knife attack was arrested near the Place de la Bastille, also in the east of the city.

At first it was thought that there could be two attackers, but now it is believed that the attack was the work of a single person, authorities added.

The motive for the attack remained unclear, and it was unknown if it was related to Charlie Hebdo, a magazine that moved away from the area after Islamist extremists attacked its offices in January 2015, when 12 people were killed, AP reported.

The police did not make public the identities of the assailant or the injured, including two people in “absolutely urgent” condition, said an agent who spoke with AP on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to identify himself in public.

The country’s prime minister, Jean Castex, shortened a visit to a northern suburb of Paris to go to the Interior Ministry and follow events from there, AP said.

For its part, the newspaper The Telegraph reported that a security cordon had been deployed around the former Charlie Hebdo offices and bomb disposal experts were called in following the discovery of a suspicious package, which was eventually confirmed to contain no explosives.

Paris knife attack

A police operation was carried out in the northeast district of Paris, and local authorities asked people to avoid the area, The Telegraph reported.

Several schools in the sector were closed with staff and students inside as a precaution. The parents were told to stay away for now.

The trial for the Charlie Hebdo attacks is taking place in another part of the city. In the courtroom where 14 people are being tried for terrorism, including three fugitives, murmurs broke out at the news of the knife attack in Paris on Friday.

The widows of the perpetrators of the slaughter in the satirical magazine are expected to testify later in the day, the AP detailed.

Pennsylvania: FBI investigates votes for Trump found in trash

The FBI investigates votes in favor of Trump found in the garbage. This Thursday the Department of Justice reported that the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI, for its acronym in English) will carry out an investigation into some ballots they found in the garbage in Pennsylvania.

President Donald Trump has often pointed to possible attacks on democracy in these upcoming elections on November 3.

In a statement published through the official website of the Department of Justice and shared on Twitter, it was announced that “since Monday, FBI personnel working together with the Pennsylvania State Police have conducted numerous interviews and have recovered and reviewed certain evidence. physical. Election officials in Luzerne County have cooperated. ”

Trump reacted on Thursday to the discovery of these ballots, saying: “We want to make sure that the election is honest and I’m not sure it can be.”

He also declared that he will present his candidate to the Supreme Court of Justice, because he thinks that it is possibly the same who decides on this year’s elections.

This is due to the mass distribution of ballots by mail due to the sanitary measures of the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States.

Apparently the discarded ballots found in the trash near the city of Scranton, in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania belonged to the military and were marked with votes in favor of the US president.

At first it had been pointed out that the total number of ballots were in favor of the Republican candidate for the Presidency, however, in a later report it was pointed out that only seven of these had been marked in this way.

This was started at the request of Stefanie Salavantis, a Republican woman who serves as a district attorney for Luzerne County, Pennsylvania.

This Thursday, the Pennsylvania Middle District Attorney’s office, through its official Twitter account, shared a letter addressed to the Luzerne County Elections Office about the investigations carried out by the found ballots.

In this letter addressed to Shelby Watchilla, director of the Luzerne County Elections Office and published on the official website of the United States Department of Justice, the existence of nine discarded ballots is confirmed.

Of these, seven were without an envelope, all marked in favor of the Republican candidate Donald Trump, in turn he mentions two ballots that seem to have been violated and then put back in place, and that because it is not the procedure adequate, its content is unknown.

He also mentions that of the total of nine ballots found in the trash, three of them can be attributed to specific voters, while the remaining six cannot be attributed to anyone at this time.

In this same letter to the Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, Elections Office, it is noted that “the proper method of processing received military ballots is to store the ballot safely, unopened, until the pre-count can begin, that in no case is it before 7:00 am on Election Day.

Opening a military or foreign ballot, or an absentee or mail ballot for that matter, violates the statutes of control and is contrary to the guidance of the Pennsylvania Department of State, “says prosecutor David J. Freed, who writes and sign the letter.

“The preliminary results of this investigation are concerning and the Luzerne County Elections Office must comply with all applicable state and federal election laws and guidelines to ensure that all votes, regardless of party, are counted to ensure an accurate electoral count. “Continued the prosecutor.

Later, in the letter, he requested to meet with Shelby Watchilla, to continue the investigation of the ballots found in the garbage.

The post Paris: Knife attack leaves four wounded and one detainee appeared first on Hispanic World.

.

Etiquetas: , ,