China: Two-story restaurant collapse leaves 17 dead and dozens injured

Tragic Saturday in China after the collapse of a two-story restaurant. At least 17 people have died and dozens remain injured in the coll...

Compartir
Suscríbete
Suscribe our Newsletter
Recibe por email las noticias más destacadas
Foto: AP Video: MH
  • Tragic Saturday in China after the collapse of a two-story restaurant.
  • At least 17 people have died and dozens remain injured in the collapse of the restaurant in China.
  • Hundreds of rescuers came to the scene after the restaurant collapsed in China.

A tragedy mourns a province in China this Saturday for the collapse of a two-story restaurant in which 17 people have died.

A two-story restaurant collapsed in China during a meeting on Saturday morning, killing 17 people, state media reported as quoted by the AP news agency.

28 other people were injured by the collapse of the restaurant in China, seven of whom are in serious condition, the official Xinhua news agency added.

The restaurant that led the tragic landslide in China is located in Xiangfen county in Shanxi province, about 400 miles (630 kilometers) southwest of Beijing, AP said. So far the cause of the accident that has claimed 17 lives is unknown.

Hundreds of rescuers, with cases and masks, searched for the people trapped in an operation that lasted all day, said the aforementioned agency.

Rescuers were seen carrying heavy pieces of concrete in a video broadcast on state-run China Central Television. On at least one occasion, the building rocked but did not collapse, the AP said.

For its part, the newspaper The Times of India detailed that the restaurant is used to hold banquets.

Quoting the Xinhua news agency, the daily The Straits Times He noted that “45 people have been removed, of which 17 were dead, seven seriously injured and 21 with minor injuries.”

The CGTN station said that 700 people participated in the rescue operation after the collapse of the restaurant in China.

To see the video click on the image:

The Straits Times also indicated that the cause of the accident has not been specified, however, it commented that China is no stranger to building collapses and fatal accidents in buildings.

Generally, he pointed out, the country’s rapid growth is said to lead builders to take shortcuts and widespread non-compliance with safety rules when erecting their buildings.

On the other hand, the British newspaper Mirror reported that a birthday party was being held at the restaurant at the time of the collapse.

According to Mirror, heartbreaking footage from the scene shows rescuers, wearing orange helmets and suits, and soldiers in military uniforms using their hands to try to lift heavy chunks of debris as they search for survivors.

China restaurant collapse

China restaurant collapse kills 17. Photo: AP

The Mirror also recalled that, in March, 29 people died from the collapse of a seven-story hotel that was being used to quarantine people under observation for the coronavirus in the city of Quanzhou.

At that time, the rescue effort involved more than 1,000 people, including firefighters and police officers.

The first floor of the building was under renovation at the time of the collapse, Chinese media reported.

An investigation blamed corruption and illegal construction by saying that additional floors were built, putting the building’s load beyond its limit, and recent work failed to repair the supporting columns that were severely deformed.

The police initiated criminal proceedings against 23 people.

China detects coronavirus in chicken wings imported from Brazil

Two weeks ago, a shows of frozen chicken wings imported from Brazil tested positive for the new coronavirus in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen, authorities said, the latest in a series of reports of contaminated imported food, reported CNN citing Chinese authorities.

The coronavirus was detected in a sample taken from a batch of chicken wings during the detection of imported frozen food in Shenzhen’s Longgang district, the municipal government said in a statement. Officials did not name the brand.

The Shenzhen health authorities immediately located and tested people who may have been in contact with the product, and all results were negative; All products related to the one that came contaminated and are in inventory have been sealed and tested negative, according to the statement.

Authorities are now tracking related products of the same brand that have already been dispatched and disinfected the area where the contaminated chicken wings were stored.

The news of the contaminated chicken wings comes after the coronavirus was found in a packaging of prawns imported from Ecuador, another South American country, at a restaurant in eastern Anhui province during a routine inspection, Chinese state broadcaster CCTV reported.

Since July, there have been seven cases in which the virus was detected in imported seafood packaging across the country, from Shandong province on the east coast to Chongqing municipality in the west, according to state media reports. .

These cases have raised concerns about the safety of imported food. Chinese health authorities have repeatedly told the public to be careful when buying imported meat and seafood. On Chinese social media, some have called for the suspension of all frozen food imports.

The post China: Two-story restaurant collapse leaves 17 dead and dozens injured appeared first on Hispanic World.

.

Etiquetas: , ,